Becoming an RSO
Here are the steps to becoming an Range Safety Officer. Note that you must have an email address and access to a computer.
- In your browser window, go to nrainstructors.org.
- In the dark blue bar at the top, click FIND A COURSE.
- Scroll to the SAFETY category at the bottom and click the box for "NRA Basic Range Safety Officer Course."
- In the SEARCH area below that, enter your home zip code and approximately how many miles you’re willing to travel for this course.
- Click the grey “Search” button to the right.
- Select a specific course date/location from the resulting list.
- Register for that course. Pay your instructor’s fee. Attend the course. Participate. Pass the written test. Your instructor will then submit your pass/fail to the NRA.
- The next weekday, return to nrainstructors.org. Pay your annual NRA Instructor’s fee online--an RSO is regarded as an instructor--and print your RSO credentials.
- Contact the PRGC Club Safety Manager at email@example.com or (530) 624-2200 to request a PRGC range‐specific orientation in order to obtain approval to act as an RSO for that range, along with access keys and/or instructions.
- Carry on.